Workshops at IMSI are typically interdisciplinary in character, and up to a week in length. They need not be within the scope of Institute themes. Workshops are generally scheduled a year in advance, but shorter timelines may be considered if circumstances warrant. Standalone workshops are most often scheduled during the winter quarter (January-March). Proposals for workshops should include the following elements:
- Title of the workshop
- Scientific description: A description of the topic for the workshop in terms accessible to a general audience of mathematical scientists. What are the goals for the workshop, and why is the topic timely?
- Brief description: A brief description of the workshop, suitable for the workshop web page.
- Organizing committee: List of the proposed organizers, with a primary contact identified. Please include contact information for all members of the organizing committee.
- Proposed speakers: A list of proposed speakers with affiliations (both institutions and, when relevant, departments), including any information available about willingness to participate. The list does not need to be complete at the time the proposal is considered.
- Proposed length: How long should the workshop be?
- Preferred timing: What preferences or constraints do the organizers have for scheduling the workshop?
- Additional funding sources: Are there additional funding sources that might help support the workshop?
Workshop organizers are expected to work to attract a diverse group of participants, where diversity is measured across a number of dimensions, including gender, race, ethnicity, career stage, employment sector, and research area. Efforts in this direction generally begin with careful attention to the composition of the organizing committee and the list of proposed speakers. Proposals which do not reflect such attention are less likely to be approved.
Workshop proposals can be sent to . Proposals will be considered by the Directors and the Scientific Advisory Committee, and revisions may be requested. Unless there are compelling reasons, workshop proposals should be approved a year or more in advance. Once proposals are approved, the Director will set the budget. Registration for workshops is managed through the Institute.